One universal truth when traveling: you will ever need a way to carry whatever it is yous need, whether it's a sweater with pockets for all of your tech or a rolling suitcase for all of your books for game mean solar day. Equally someone who's done a fair share of traveling and always wanting to have all of the necessary gear on hand, I've gone through my fair share of bags.

When I was terminal in the market for a new bag, a few people mentioned the Pocketbook of Property from ThinkGeek. It was praised for being durable, obviously enough to be used at at the workplace, geeky enough to be recognized by true nerds, and having more than than enough infinite for anything I'd need. When I took my first "existent" librarian task in November 2013, I thought I'd replace my also pocket-size bag (one compartment for tech AND luncheon? Not good) with something a bit beefier, so I bit the bullet and ordered a Pocketbook of Holding.

IMG_20160815_162017505
Nearly 3 years later, yet in one piece!

Note: The writer and StickyBunton are in no style affiliated with ThinkGeek. All thoughts and beliefs written below are solely the stance of the writer and may or may not be shared past other members of StickyBunton.

==Get-go Impressions==

When I took the bag out of the shipping materials, I knew I'd honey it.  Everything about information technology screamed "I'chiliad sturdy", from the metal zippers and clasps to the denim-like canvas. The drab grey was a major selling signal for me (as I planned to bring this to work), and the subtle d20 badge with "Bag of Holding" added that geeky touch that I beloved in a bag.

It also had more than enough compartments for what I needed; there'south a small compartment with a flap to concur pencils and the like, a slightly larger compartment (about the side of a notebook on information technology's side), an fifty-fifty bigger compartment with a small pocket, and then primary compartment with padding for a laptop. The smaller compartments tin can only be accessed by moving the main flap, which has a small pocket to hold small, quick-access things (it easily holds my 3DS and Gunnar glasses). There'due south even a document pouch on the side facing you when you clothing it.

Everything closes with either zippers or magnets, and again, it's pretty sturdy.

==The Skilful==

I've said it multiple time already: the pocketbook itself is pretty sturdy. Well, for the most function ("The Bad" for details). I didn't start seeing holes (albeit minor ones) in major areas until I bankrupt the two yr mark, and information technology hasn't had a major exterior tear yet. Fifty-fifty the strap hasn't broken yet, as it is securely connected and not rigged with little connectors.

Getting a little frayed, just still going potent. Plenty of stitching and solid construction to ensure this LASTS!

One thing I love about this bag over some of the other geeky bags I've found: the interior is not coated in horrible plastic. So many bags I find are made from a decent material (nylon, canvas, denim), only to have an interior coated with plastic that eventually breaks and sheds over time. I tin't count the number of times I had to pick broken black plastic flakes from my tablet or 3DS every time I took them from my bag. Thankfully, that wasn't the case here.

The name "Bag of Holding" isn't just a nod to a magical item in Dungeons and Dragons; this bag comes pretty shut to the name! I've filled this with various loadouts based on the upshot, and I oasis't run into too many situations that I couldn't at least get most, if not all, of what I needed in there. Early on in my Star Wars GMing fourth dimension, I was able to fit every book I endemic (i.e. every book released) until adding a third core rulebook and associated splatbooks made it unusable alone (thus my investment into a rolling suitcase). With conventions, I can toss in 2-3 games worth of materials and still have room left over (depending on the games, of course). I've hauled it with me for interviews (presentation materials, tablet, chromebook, pair of novels, and snacks), route trips (tons of tech, drove of books, carte games), and even to piece of work every day (loadout ranges from a few notebooks and a tablet to ii meals, snacks, modify of clothing, and plenty tech to choke an elephant). I've even brought it along to blacksmithing classes (granted, as far away from the forge equally possible), every bit it can carry a number of projects (i.e. I've hauled a agglomeration of knives in here; it's all the same intact) too as a few tools (hammers and protection supplies FTW!).

Information technology's a versatile bag, and I love information technology for that reason lonely.

Not just a marketing ploy.

The durability likewise extends into washing/stain removal. I've lost count of the number of lunches that have spilled in this bag due to faulty containers (everything from Chinese leftovers to homemade curry) or things that have spilled onto it, and the bag has always cleaned up easily and nicely.

While not entirely waterproof, it is designed to protect things better than yous'd recall. On rainy days, I'd identify my tech into an interior pocket, and I'd find them dry after walking the curt bit to work. I'm not about to stand up in a tempest or driblet this into a puddle, but hey, it's a good bag!

==The Bad==

While the purse is pretty sturdy, information technology's not bulletproof by any ways. Within my kickoff 3 months, I somehow found myself popping the seam that contained the padding for laptops. Granted, it'southward non a big tear, and it didn't expand very far in the additional two years, but it did cause some business as I was waiting for something else to go.

Not a fun thing to happen early on on. Granted, it'south but gotten wider past about ane/4 inch in ii years, but still not fun.

While in that location are many spaces, the two I had the most problems with were the certificate sleeve and the small pocket for pencils and the similar.

The document sleeve is not big enough for standard 8.v×eleven sheets, and is barely big deep enough to put an envelope in. In fact, I but use this sleeve when I know I am walking to the post office and don't desire to forget to mail something; once I put an envelope in it, information technology will stick out. It as well doesn't assist that the magnets used to close this involve having a piffling nub and a pit to lock together, which makes sealing it entirely pointless. Concluding kicker: the magnet/squeeze is under the canvas, which is great. . .until you wear information technology down. I've had it worn downwardly to but lined fibers that are starting to tear (and who knows what'll happen to the rest of the sleeve afterward), and the design probably hasn't helped it.

Not then useful of a document sleeve. As well note the magnetic clasp starting to break through.

As for the "pencil" pocket, it's most-worthless for that. It has born sleeves for pencils and pens, likewise as actual pockets for this sort of affair. Looking at them, I idea they were going to be exceedingly useful. And then I tried to put a writing utensil into that space.

Highligher, click pen, and a capped pen. Not able to close this compartment with ANY of them in place.

Obviously, the pocket is too small for most pencils and pens, and the petty elastic sleeves tin merely hold things so well (and there's only two of them). The tiniest pocket is even too small for a business carte, making it less than useless (unless you are carrying individual pieces of gum or something). I eventually gave up the idea of using these specific parts for what they were designed for, and merely use that section every bit a take hold of-all for little things, similar power cables, index cards, and a pencil case.

One major consequence I've had has been coming upwards more recently: the metal clasp/buckle. I don't know almost most people, simply when I habiliment a messenger bag, I wear the strap on the contrary shoulder from where the bag rests (i.eastward. right shoulder, left hip). Sadly, with the way the strap is designed, I accept the metal clasp/buckle excavation into my collarbone, which is a pain when my walk has gone from "across a parking lot" to "At least half-dozen blocks, can be a iii mile hike depending on weather." This has been getting more and more frustrating as the days go on, equally I'k either making the pocketbook ride besides far up or dropping it too low to exist properly comfortable for me. It'due south more than personal preference, but it is a deciding cistron confronting buying a 2nd one to replace this.

==The Verdict==

Overall, the Bag of Holding deserves a solid 4 buns, a thumbs upwards, and a +iii to all saving throws.

Rating 4 Stars

The bag could use a few minor improvements, but it's solid, durable, and has really lasted longer than most of the numberless I've endemic; I nearly destroyed my YakPak before my year in Nihon was over, I demolished a "tactical attache" in four months, and the only everyday use pocketbook I've owned that lasted beyond the half dozen month mark without an issue was a Jansport backpack I bought when I entered college in 2003 (that is Even so a fill-in purse for every trip I take; just not presentable for work and backpacks aren't that professional person).

Any bag that can beat the two twelvemonth mark withoutmassive damage from my everyday use deserves a thumbs up. If the blueprint bug (specifically that strap) didn't problems me, I'd consider buying another one (or even moving up to the pvc-leather version and seeing how long that lasts), just alas, I need an culling that won't drive me crazy and won't break the bank in the process. If I needed to buy a new handbagtoday due to some outside ending destroying the purse, I'd probably society some other one to hold me off until I found something every bit epic and fabricated out of leather (I know leather will survive a forge, subsequently all).

The worst exterior hole. This and a few popped/fraying seams are the merely bits of obvious damage in nearly three years. Thumbs up!

The Bag of Holding can be purchased from ThinkGeek for $49.99, unless you can snipe it on a really good sale or other discount (and in that location's always some deal going on, and then expect out for information technology).

Want to see more posts like this from The NPC? Consider backing me on Patreon!